
In less than 2 weeks I'll be 18. I'll be legal, I'll be able to say that I remember more than half my life. I could get married, drop out of high school, buy porn or infomercial products, cigarettes, and see an NC-17 movie, plus I'll be able to vote, serve in the military. People make it out to be a big deal, that once you turn 18 you feel different, that people look at you different or that your whole persona on life changes, but I don't know about that. I feel like maybe 18 is such a big step because you realize that life is fast, and that things you once loved and felt like they could never change and leave you have. So in honor of my 18th birthday and the wonderful times I've had in all these years I'm going to be posting some short little notes about each year I was born and some pictures from that year, and I'd also love to hear what anyone who reads this was doing that year, or there most distinctive memory from that year, because I know we all have those memories that never fade.
So hear it begins, I was born Feb. 12 1992 in Macon, the heart of the South to two wonderful, loving parents. I was my parents first child, and the first grandchild on my dads side. and a few years ago I found a journal my mom started to me while she ws pregnant, now while she didn't make it very far into writing in it, its still so sweet and amazing that she could write to someone who didn't even exist yet. Its so sweet, it seriously makes me cry everytime I read it.

June 26, 1991 "Little one, I just found out that you existed two days ago, you can't believe how happy and scared I was....Tge first thing I did was say a prayer for you... and if possible, give you my fathers eyes."
Dec. 11, 1991 "Your grandparents are all excited about you, you'll be the fifth on my mothers side, but I think you'll be very special because you're mine.....if this pregnancy is represenative of you, then you should be a wonderful, easy going person."
April 17, 1992 "I haven't written in a while, but its because you keep me so busy and because I would just rather sit and watch you kick and squirm than anything else"

July 17, 1992 "Tarver, you are a wonderful baby, I'm not exagerating when I say you're perfect.....You smile freely and easily, but you make me work for a laugh or a giggle, sometimes you have the most serious expression on your face, like you're thinking about something....The other day you noticed some ballons on the grocery store. I think you liked the ribbons that were tied to them, I bought one for you but of course you instantly tried to put it in your mouth. I would buy anything for you. I would do anything for you. You are a joy, a true blessing from God....I spend alot of time thinking about the things we'll do in the future- the games we'll play, the walks we'll take and the talks we'll have."
I love that she wrote this for me, and despite that fact that there are maybe only 20 entries in it altogether, its still the sweetest thing ever. I'd love to write something like this, to either my future husband maybe, or my children(very very far off in the future).




















What a sweet gift to have those thoughts from your mom! :) This is a really fun idea! In 1992 I was going into 1st grade. I was totally into the Disney princesses (but my mom wouldn't let me change my name to Jasmine, dangit) and it was the year my dad passed away...
ReplyDeleteHow sweet! Yeah, I have to agree with you. I turned 18 about a month ago, and I can't say much has changed :)
ReplyDelete