Thursday, May 20, 2010

Moving on or Getting over?

(I got to play on my dream computer today, a 15in macbook pro today, while I babysat for the best kids ever. This is Michael, hes 9,adorable and I love him.)

I figured out why I think its hitting me really hard that I'm graduating on Saturday, I think its because of the fact that everytime I've left a school I've lost signifigant amounts of important friends and I always end up pulling away from everyone at the end, most likely in order to protect myself from hurt. And now I think I'm just scared that when I leave high school, the friends that I've made here, which are the best friends I've ever had, will end up hurting me as well and in the end I'll have pulled away and I'll lose some of the best, most important friends in my house, that are so dear to my me.
Maybe I have issues with moving on, but is that so bad? I mean, it still hurts me a little bit thinking about my friends from middle school who I thought I'd be with forever are now those people that I avoid in Barnes and Noble. Its probably just my own personal way of protecting myself from putting myself out there, knowing that if someone says something that I don't like or if things don't go the way I want them to then I'll end up getting hurt in the end, and just pulling away like I always do.
And I'm making every effort now to avoid pulling away from my friends after high school, I'm making sure that the people I care the most about know that they're important to me and that I have every intention of staying in contact with them, even if it is only through the occasional text about Gossip Girl or links left on facebook walls.
I know that growing up, graduating and moving forward are essential facts of growing up as a normal person, but it's still just an overall terrifying thought, and I guess I'm just looking for comfort, knowledge and encouragement over the next couple of months/weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I remember that feeling. I remember feeling it when I graduated HS (6 years ago now, WOW), college (2 years ago) and I think I'll feel it again (although to a much lesser degree) next year with law school.

    I would highly encourage you to keep in touch with your closest friends. The ones you want on a deserted island with you. I moved 2000 miles away for college and cut ALL ties. In some ways it was good for me, but I do regret letting some of those relationships lapse. It's actually really interesting, because post COLLEGE I've actually begun keeping in better touch with my high school friends than college friends. The world is funny that way.

    I'll be thinking of you girl - and CONGRATS on graduating :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw love its a really tough time leaving high school and that fear of losing everyone.
    i had a silly fight with my bunch of friends right at the end of school so i lost basically all of them. dumb move alyssa, dumb move.

    but at a time when you dont see each other every day you start to see which ones your true friends really are. Sometimes you feel like you are close with people because you talk everyday... but when it comes down to it once school isnt giving you that common link you kinda drift apart, but thats okay.
    People come in and out of your life. and it can be hard at times... but you have to remember you are going to college, you are going to make heaps of new friends and are going to be really busy, like everyone else. but you will always have those hs people there for you, even if they arent as active in your life as they once were!

    you are a wonderful person and will always have amazing friends around you :)

    Love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, just let me say THANK YOU for your kind words and prayers concerning my mother. I'm so incredibly blessed to be living with such a sweet and caring person in the fall, I'm excited! :)
    I had the same fears this time last year about leaving high school and what would become of my most valued friendships. My friends that have stuck by my side since middle school and high school are still my friends today, even after a full year of seperation. I've found that all it takes is a little more effort and time than before to remain close, but it is very do-able! I've lost touch with aquaintances after high school, but the connection with my true friends hasn't faded a bit.
    If you need to talk I'm always here! You have nothing to worry about though, I promise :)
    I hope we can set a day to meet up this summer before move in day!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, short or small, personal or not. They all brighten my day, and I love to return the love.