Monday, April 11, 2011

"And I sink to the bottom and rise to the top and I think to myself that I do this a lot."

   Have you ever had that one band, that band, that song, that album that you constantly have on repeat? You sing all the words, you constantly have the tunes in your head, and all you want to do is tell other people about them so that they'll love them too?




   As of recent, that has been the Avett Brothers for me. I know that they're not exactly a new band, but I've just fallen completely in love with them, and I feel its fitting for the place that I'm at right now, the point of view I have on my life and the way certain lyrics and songs relate so accurately to the way I'm feeling. Lyrics and verse and words that fit so perfectly in the way I'm feeling that no other explanation is necessary other than to sing at the top of my lungs with the windows rolled down, ray-bans on and experiencing these freeing moments from a hectic life. 


   A life, that is no where near bad, but just has overwhelming tendencies. A life that has habits of ups and downs, goods and bads, times that feel as if they're never going to look up and all you want to do is crawl into the bed, or drive really fast, or simply cuddle up to the person next to you and be perfectly still, allowing yourself to be in that moment, and in that moment alone. Because once things around you begin to move again, the 4 exams, 3 papers, 5 projects, sick grandparents, grieving parents and just the presence of friends and loved ones is a burden. But not a burden in the usual sense. Its a comforting burden, a burden that makes you aware of all the blessings in your life. All the opportunities you've been afforded, the privileges you've been granted and the people God has blessed you with. 



'Up with caffeine and down with a shot
constantly worried about what I got. 
Distracting my work but I can't make a stop 
and my confidence on and my confidence off. 
And I sink to the bottom and rise to the top 
and I think to myself that I do this a lot." 
- The Avett Brothers, "Talk on Indolence" 


   My life right now seems to be completely defined by this song, but it also proves to me that despite all the ups and downs, God has never given me something I can't handle. He will never give me something that he knows won't bring me closer to him.








4 comments:

  1. So true. And now I have to check out this band because I've never heard of them! :) Good to see a post from you lady, hope school is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog because I wanted to pin the Avett's on my pinterest board. This picture of them is so good. LOVE what you wrote about them. Their music gets stuck inside me and doesn't turn me loose. :) I'm glad I discovered your blog too - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a good feeling listening to a song that describes exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to check these guys out! I think Mumford and Sons does it for me. Their songs are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, short or small, personal or not. They all brighten my day, and I love to return the love.